Caltrans announces a new people and community-friendly direction that will transform transportation across California, and - Downtown Redding is the Feature Story!
This new direction was announced in Caltrans Performance Report, June 2015.
How exciting to see the feature article in this important publication – Redding, California: New Road Diet Improves Downtown Business!
- I was initially concerned and not happy about the idea to go from three lanes to two on California Street. But now I love it – the foot traffic at our business [corner of California & Placer] has increased threefold! It’s fantastic.” - James Mazzotta, Enjoy Store
- I’m really excited there are these new improvements now and I can feel good about my kids riding around downtown. - Janis Logan, Co-Owner, Vintage Wine Bar and Restaurant
Thank you and congratulations to our many members and supporters who made this project possible in the first place. Your letters and phone calls supporting this project made the difference.
Read the article: Mile Marker: Redding, CA. New Road Diet Improves Downtown Business
Goals: Triple Bicycling, Double Walking and Transit
We have set course on a new mission, established a new vision and adopted new goals to ensure that California has a transportation system that meets the complex needs of the coming century. - Caltrans Director, Malcolm Dougherty
Caltrans is committed to supporting an increase of bike trips to 4.5 percent of all trips in California in the next five years, plus increasing walk trips to 33 percent and transit to almost 9 percent of all trips. Read more about this: Streetsblog: Caltrans goals triple bicycling, double walking and transit by 2020
In 2015 Caltrans announced an ambitious new direction.
Provide a safe, sustainable, integrated and efficient transportation system to enhance California’s economy and livability
- Safety and Health
- Stewardship and Efficiency
- Sustainability, Livability and Economy Make long-lasting, smart mobility decisions that improve the environment, support a vibrant economy, and build communities, not sprawl.
- System Performance
- Organizational Excellence
Kudos to staff and leadership at Caltrans District 2 and staff of the City of Redding for the vision, design and planning to implement the California Street project quickly for the benefit of downtown businesses and local families.