Inviting sidewalks and bikeways bring people past the doors of retail businesses.
- The previously well-recognized power of foot traffic is again appreciated by businesses that have found themselves on fast-moving street corridors.
- Mounting evidence from cities that install protected bikeways to serve business districts shows retail sales increasing, sometimes dramatically.
- Biking local = shopping local.
Cycling and trail tourism can be a major economic driver.
- Bicycling in the United States is a $6 billion national industry and one study estimates that the spillover effects of recreational bicycling alone could be as large as $133 billion.
- The Sacramento River Trail was recently chosen one of the Top 10 Trails in California. There are tremendous opportunities for businesses to develop around visitors who arrive throughout the year.
Building superior facilities and infrastructure creates local jobs.
- McKinsey lists 1 of 5 Game Changers for US Jobs & Economy by 2020 as “increased investment in infrastructure: roads, transit”. California has a new Transportation Agency with focus to support this. The July 2013 report: Game changers: Five opportunities for US growth and renewal.